"If you tell the Truth, you don't have to remember anything"
-Mark Twain
"You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit." -Kurt Vonnegut

Monday, August 5, 2013

I'm Walking Down Your Moonlight Mile

HERE is the early show and HERE is the late show from the Calderone Theatre in Hempstead, NY from March 30th, 1976.
I'm not that big of a Rolling Stone fan. Unlike The Beatles, I feel like they have some great singles but are hit or miss on their LP's. The three LP's that I think that they knocked it out of the park for are "Gimme Shelter," "Sticky Fingers," and "Exile on Main Street." And ironcially "Exile" has the least amount of singles on it of any Stones album from the 70's. So when I noticed that JGB played my favorite song from "Sticky Fingers," I had to find a show and this is the one I came across. 
Little did I know that I stumbled across the first "Don't Let Go," which is unfortunately cut before completion and has been the Jerry Garcia estate's hastag of choice these Days Between. There is also a gut wrenching 25 minute version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." I'm not really sure that "Heaven's Door" has fully recovered from the Jerry shredding it got on this night. It's not even like this is one of those Dylan songs that comes with a lyric sheet that is thicker than the Bible. The song doesn't even have a chance to start and Jerry is already experimenting with the three chord song structure. Holding a peak, which he returns to several times through out the song making it an exciting listen. This is why, despite not seeing the man play in the last 18 years, I still haven't gotten over his music. Three chords with a hand full of lyric and he makes it a compelling for 25 minutes. His is a genius like no other. 
Early: Emotion, TLEO, Mission, After Midnight, Who Was John, Limbo, Dixie Down, Don't Let Go
Late: Sugaree, Catfish John, Tore Up, Struggling Man, Knockin', Mystery Train, Moonlight Mile, Sister & Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment