"If you tell the Truth, you don't have to remember anything"
-Mark Twain
"You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit." -Kurt Vonnegut

Monday, November 5, 2012

THE WORLD'S TALLEST DEADHEAD

Today is Bill Walton's 60th birthday. Over his long strange trip, Bill Walton managed to see over 350 Grateful Dead shows and is still a regular at Dead related events. He even made the epic trip to the Pyramids to see the band play in 1978.
I do not know much about Basketball, because I am a hockey fan, but I know Bill Walton was a prolific college player at UCLA and then was drafted by the Portland Trailblazers. He had some problems there with management and when it came to contract talks, he said that he would only resign if the Grateful Dead was hired to play at half time and after every home game. Yeah that would have worked well for the Dead.
I bumped into Mr. Walton one night in San Diego. I was seeing a Dead cover band at a bar named Winston's, between sets I went outside for a smoke. All of a sudden I saw these legs coming out of the bar, and I instantly recognized Bill Walton. I approached him and asked, "So what do you think of the band?"
His response to me, "Well I love all the songs." So do I, so do I.

I have a post coming tomorrow on a show and life after Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment